I am so proud of this recipe. I had so much fun developing it, eating it and serving it to my family (and they enjoyed eating it as well!). This crispy and oozy mozzarella slice is so delicious. It’s so perfect to serve during the Nine Days, Sunday brunch — or any time. It’s crucial that you don’t forget the freezer step, it really helped stop the cheese from seeping out during the frying process as you fry the cheese while partially frozen. The best thing about this is that Natural and Kosher Cheeses makes a pre-sliced package of Mozzarella cheese — making it so convenient
Crispy and Oozy Fried Mozzarella
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
3 eggs, beaten
1 log pre-sliced mozzarella Natural and Kosher
1 cup panko bread crumbs
1/2 cup parmesan cheese grated by Natural and Kosher
1 Tablespoon dried dill
1/2 cup canola oil
- Place the flour, eggs, and panko bread crumbs mixed with parmesan and dill, in 3 separate shallow bowls.
- Dip a slice of the cheese, first in the flour, then in the eggs (letting any excess drip off), then the panko-cheese mixture, pressing gently to help it adhere.
- Set aside each slice of crumbed cheese on a tray lined with parchment paper and continue to batter up the rest of the cheese.
- Place in the freezer for up to 2 hours. Don’t skip this step. It stops the cheese from oozing out when you fry them.
- Remove from freezer, then repeat again the dipping process of the already crumbed slices, but just the egg and panko/cheese coating. This gives them a super crunchy coating.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Working in batches, cook the cheese until golden, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a paper towel–lined plate.